Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving

This year we spent Thanksgiving with Brant's family. I'm still not accustomed to such large family gatherings, so it feels pretty chaotic to me. When Brant and I got married, I instantly became an Aunt. 3 boys and 3 girls. WOW. Being the oldest, and having only 1 sibling, and cousins similar in age, I'm not used to little kids. The youngest I ever babysat was probably 5 or 6 years old (old enough to be potty trained anyway). So when my youngest niece was potty-training and asked me to help her (all she said was "Jessie... poop!") I was instantly terrified!! I looked to LaWayne (my mother-in-law) and said "what do I do?!" She just laughed and took care of it.

Thanksgiving was so much fun. The kids were having a blast with Brant. They were all outside having a snowball fight and other snow-related activities. I talked with the rest of the fam, met the man one sis-in-law was dating (VERY nice guy, by the way) and I was spoiled by LaWayne. She is the dream mother-in-law. I know most women dread their mother-in-law, or having a mother-in-law, because of that awful stereotype going around. I couldn't be more blessed. It's also new getting used to having sisters. I grew up around mostly boys. Never had a girl cousin to play with. Granted I had my barbie dolls, but I also had ninja turtles, gargoyles, war trolls, and the like. I love them though. They're all so sweet to me.

Now, don't think I'm forgetting my side of the family! I called my family before we arrived at LaWayne's house and spoke with them for a bit. My brother dove down for Thanksgiving break, and I found out my Uncle and recently-arrived home RM cousin were also there! I loved the Thanksgivings when I had my uncle and cousins there. More food and more fun! Anyway, my mom was busy with all the food prep, dad kept asking her questions, my cousin was chatting away with my brother, while my uncle listened and chatted with them. I can't wait to drive down for Christmas. It'll be different in my parents' new place, but where there is love, there is a home. I honestly love their new place (besides the tenant living downstairs) because it's mostly all on one level. My brothers room and all the storage are downstairs.
Being married and on-my-own makes me think back more to the Christmas's when I was a kid, and all the magic that was there. Having nieces and nephews helps renew that magic. That and getting to be the ones sneaking presents around, keeping them guessing and snickering because they can never guess ^_^

I love family holidays. It's a perfect chance to get to know Brant' family, and Brant to get to know mine. I just love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment